Camtasia recommends using an external USB webcam. While any USB external webcam should work okay below is a list of USB webcams that we have specifically tested.
- Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HD
- Logitech C920
- Logitech C922
- Logitech 9000 Pro
- Logitech C910
- Logitech C310
- Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
- Logitech QuickCam S5500
- HP AutoFocus
While we do some internal testing with internal (built-in) webcams we tend to see more technical problems with them as compared to USB webcams.
Devices That Are Not Supported
- Document cameras
- ip cameras
- DV cameras via USB or Firewire
- Internal or external Capture Cards
- 4k webcams
Audio Sync Issues with Webcams
Sometimes after recording your screen and webcam the result is that the webcam video and audio are out of sync. Below are some steps to try and prevent that moving forward.
- Update your webcam driver to the latest version available from the webcam manufacturer's web site
- Close down all other apps during recording
- If you are using a laptop you can go into the control panel-->power settings and set your power setting to "high performance". We've had many users report changing this setting has made a big difference in keeping their webcam in sync.
- If none of the options above helps please contact support
Unable to Record Webcam at 1080p and 30fps
Many webcams will advertise being able to record at 1920x1080 and 30fps. Camtasia pulls the resolution and frame rate directly from the webcam driver. We've seen that in many cases you can record at 1920x1080 but only at 5fps. You can record at 30fps, but only at a lower resolution. You're unable to do both at the same. This is not specific to Camtasia as the behavior also occurs in other applications.
If you are in need of 1080p video at 30fps to go along with your screen recorded content we recommend using a handheld HD video recorder that shoots video separate and can then import that video into Camtasia to sync up with your screen video. To make things easier it's best to make a clap or loud noise at the beginning of the recording. This will create a spike in the waveform in both the screen video and camera video that will allow you sync those two video tracks up in the timeline easier.
Webcam Shows as Unavailable in the Camtasia Recorder
This can occur when using a program called BitDefender. They have a webcam protection feature where it's possible it doesn't let other programs use the webcam. Here's where you can turn that setting off within BitDefender.
Camera Does Not initialize in the Camtasia Recorder
This may be due to new privacy settings in Windows 10. For more information, see this support article.