Camtasia recommends using an external USB webcam. While any USB external webcam should work, this list contains each USB webcam that has been specifically tested.
- Logitech Brio
- Logitech C920
- Logitech C922
- Logitech 9000 Pro
- Logitech C910
- Logitech C310
- Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
- Logitech QuickCam S5500
- HP AutoFocus
- Microsoft LifeCam Cinema HP
- Internal Webcams
- Document Cameras
- IP Cameras
- DV Cameras (USB or Firewire)
- Internal or External Capture Cards
- Virtual Cameras
While we do some internal testing with built-in webcams, we see more technical problems with them as compared to USB webcams.
Audio Sync Issues with Webcams
After recording the screen and webcam, the video and audio are out of sync. Change the graphic settings on your computer to High performance:
- Click on your Windows 10 Start Menu and go to Settings
- Go to System
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on Graphics Settings
- Make sure Desktop App is selected under the Choose an app to set preference
- Click on Browse and browse to: C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Camtasia 2020
- Click on CamtasiaStudio.exe and click on Add
- Click on Options and then select the High performance option
- Repeat steps 5-7 above except add CamRecorder.exe instead
Video of the steps above:
Webcam Shows as Unavailable in the Camtasia Recorder
This can occur when using a program called BitDefender. BitDefender has a webcam protection feature to not let other programs use the webcam. Here is where the setting can be turned off.
There are other programs out there which can block your webcam from being used so check to make sure no other program is blocking it.
Camera Does Not initialize in the Camtasia Recorder
This may be due to new privacy settings in Windows 10. For more information, see this article.
Change the Camera Record Method
- Exit Camtasia and the Camtasia Recorder. Confirm that they are not running in Task Manager.
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: regedit
- Browse to:
- Camtasia 2019: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\19.0\Camtasia Recorder\19.0
- Camtasia 2018: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\18.0\Camtasia Recorder\18.0
- Camtasia 9: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\9.0\Camtasia Recorder\9.0
- Click the 19.0, 18.0, or 9.0 folder (depending on the version of Camtasia).
- Right-click the RecorderConfig item on the right and select Modify.
- Copy all of the information in the Value data field.
If there does not appear to be anything in the Value data field, it is still there. Click in the Value data field, press Control + A to select everything in the field, then press Control + C to copy the contents to your clipboard.
- Paste the contents into a blank text file (Notepad can be used for this).
- Find <CameraRecordingSDKSource>1</CameraRecordingSDKSource> and change the value from 1 to 0. If the value is already set to 0, change it to a 1.
- Copy all of the contents in the text file, and paste the information back into the Value data field in the Registry Editor.
- Click OK
- Close the Registry Editor, and open Camtasia.