This problem can occur if the hosts file has been modified on your system or other security settings within your environment are in place.
This error can occur in Camtasia 2019 or earlier. For issues with Camtasia 2020 or later please refer to this article.
"Our activation server is unable to register your copy of Camtasia. You may still use Camtasia throughout your trial period."
"We were unable to validate your software key and could not register your copy of Camtasia. You may still use Camtasia throughout your trial period."
- Browse to this folder: C:\Windows\System32\drivers\etc.
- Right-click the "hosts" file and select Properties.
- Uncheck the box for Read-only.
- Close Camtasia.
- Download the attached CamtasiaUtl.zip file to your desktop.
- Right-click the zip file and select Extract to extract the EXE file.
- Double-click the CamtasiaUtl.exe file.
A spinning wheel may flash after running the file, but you will receive no other message or prompt.
- Open Camtasia and enter your valid software key.
Watch the video to see the steps above.