When opening Camtasia 9 the tools on the left along with the canvas are missing
We have been able to resolve this problem for most scenarios in version 9.1.0 which can be downloaded here. If you're still having the issue in 9.1.0 try the solutions below.
This is an issue that only occurs in certain circumstances. The best workaround is to follow the steps below.
- Close CamtasiaStudio.exe and CamRecorder.exe in Task Manager.
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: regedit
- Browse to:
- Camtasia 2019: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\19.0
- Camtasia 2018: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\18.0
- Camtasia 9: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\18.0
- Right-click the 19.0, 18.0, or 9.0 folder (depending on the version being used), and choose Export. Save this file to your Desktop (this is a backup).
- In the Registry Editor, delete the 19.0, 18.0, or 9.0 folder.
- Click the Start Menu. Scroll down in All Apps and select TechSmith > Camtasia to record again.
In some cases we have seen the preview window inside of Camtasia Studio editor go missing. Usually this is related to a setting in the program being corrupted and the Preview window is being drawn in a location we cannot see.
If you are on Windows 7, or Windows 8 there is a really easy way to get this Visible again:
Click on the Camtasia Studio window to give it focus, then press and hold in your windows key, and then tap the Left arrow button on your keyboard.
That should re-size and snap the Camtasia Studio window to the left side of the screen and also will get the coordinates correct for the Preview window.