Where are the recordings created by Camtasia saved to by default and how long are they saved for?
Default Save Location for Recordings
You can get to that location by doing the following:
- Click on the Finder icon in your dock to open it up
- Click on the Go tab at the top left of your monitor
- Click on Go to Folder...
- Type in: ~/Movies and click on Go
Auto Delete Settings
- Recordings are automatically deleted after 14 days by default
- You can change the auto-delete period or disable it if you do not want Camtasia to delete recording files. You can also change the location here as well. Note the image below:
Recordings Saved in Projects
When saving a project for the first time, check the box to create a Standalone project. This will make the imported media including .trec files, imported video, sound files, still images and any other content as part of the .cmproj file. The content is embedded into the project file. This makes the cmproj file larger than if media was referenced in its original location on disk, and it means that Camtasia also uses more hard drive space because media is duplicated, but projects can now be moved on disk or to a different computer without losing the media files.
We recommend keeping all media and project files on a local hard drive. Working off a network drive or cloud storage can cause Camtasia to behave incorrectly and may result in corrupted projects or failure to properly export finished video.