Introducing new YouTube Plugin for TechSmith Relay
Note: As of April 2015, it is anticipated that all YouTube uploads using the existing plugin will fail. This new plugin, introduced in version 4.4.0 of TechSmith Relay uses the YouTube API v3 for publishing. If you are currently using YouTube as a publishing destination within TechSmith Relay, its strongly recommended that you switch over to the new YouTube plugin.
To configure TechSmith Relay (Self-Hosted) to publish to YouTube using the new YouTube plugin introduced in version 4.4.1 and later, refer to the following steps:
- Go to your TechSmith Relay Server and access System > Plug-Ins > and install the new YouTube Plugin.
- After the YouTube plugin has been installed, please access Profiles > Publish Destination Setup, click on the YouTube tab and copy the redirect URL.
- In a new browser window, sign in to https://console.developers.google.com. If you do not have a Google account, create one and then sign in.
TIP: Some users elect to create a new Google account specifically for this Relay integration. This way, the credentials can be shared among administrator's so that all admins have access.
- Create a new project or open an existing project.
- From the Project Dashboard, go to the Use Google API's tab, and enable YouTube Data API.
- After enabling the API, choose Credentials > OAuth consent screen and add an Email and a Product Name (Note: Product name must be populated, but the name can be custom to your server). Other fields are not required, but can be populated at the users discretion.
- Click Save at the bottom of the Consent Screen page.
- Finally select the Credentials tab, and click New credentials > OAuth client ID to open a developer console. (Note: If any of the above items are modified after this step, you must 'Reset Secret' before proceeding)
- Choose Web Application
- Click Create. A Client ID and Client Secret are generated for you.
- IMPORTANT NOTE: If any of the above information must be updated after initial OAuth setup, a NEW client secret must be generated for those changes to be adopted by the system. Failure to do so will cause publishing to generate errors.
IMPORTANT NOTE: If you would like the presentations to be published to the presenters corresponding YouTube account, choose Use presenter account in the Publish Account section of the Profile.
Presenters (Use presenter account)
Once these steps are complete, each presenter will need to Authenticate their account with their YouTube account.
- Log in to the Relay web console as a presenter
- A new notice will appear on your Dashboard indicating that account information is missing for the YouTube Profile. Click on the profile name.
- Select Authenticate with YouTube
- Enter your YouTube credentials, and Save the profile.