The Camtasia Recorder shuts down when the computer randomly shuts downs or some other technical reason occurs.
There are various options to resolve this solution.
Option 1: Built-in Disaster Recovery in Camtasia Recorder
The recorder has a built-in disaster recovery feature that will attempt to auto-recover a failed recording.
- Open Camtasia Recorder.
- Click Recover to retrieve the recording.
If this does not retrieve it, please follow option 2.
Option 2: Auto Recover in Camrec Folder
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: %temp%
- Sort folders and files by the latest changes in Date Modified.
- Select Camrec# (ex. Camrec0).
- Camtasia 8.4 and Earlier: Select Camrec# (ex. Camrec0). There will be an AVI file inside the folder. Copy the AVI file to your Desktop and try importing it to Camtasia.
- Camtasia 8.5 and Later: Copy the Camrec# (ex. Camrec0) folder to your Desktop. There will be a TREC file inside the folder. Open Camtasia Recorder to see if it automatically recovers the file. If it fails or does not recover file, please contact Support to send us the copy from your Desktop to see if anything can be recovered.