Error 1723 or 1721: There is a problem with this Windows Installer package. A DLL required for this install to complete could not be run. Contact your support personnel or package vendor.
We have seen that the Avast security software can cause this problem. If Avast is installed please try the following Avast setting change.
- Open the Avast user interface
- Click on Real-Time Shields
- Click on File System Shield
- Click on Expert Settings
- Click on Auto Sandbox
- Uncheck Auto Sandbox
- Install the desired Techsmith application (Snagit or Jing)
- Turn Auto Sandbox back on if desired
If Avast is not installed, try uninstalling and reinstalling the program from the Control Panel. If the error message still appears, please perform a manual uninstall:
Delete the files located in:
C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit(Deleting this folder should remove all files).
- Additionally, you will need to remove SnagIt from your registry. SnagIt installs to the following locations:
If the above does not fix the issue, please contact support to get instructions on using a separate uninstall utility.
On Windows XP and Vista, another option would be to install the following components from Microsoft.