This error can occur when Snagit is still running as you attempt to run the installer for Snagit, or if the user installing Snagit does not have the correct permissions to install the application.
First, make sure Snagit is not running.
- Open your task manager (Control + Alt + Delete).
Windows 7: Select the Processes tab
Windows 8/10: Choose More Details at the bottom
- Look through this list and check for the following processes (you may or may not see the .exe):
- If you do see one of the above processes, select it and choose End Task.
- Try running the installer again.
If the problem continues, please consider the options below.
Option 1: Run the installer as an administrator
- Locate the exe that was downloaded to install Snagit
- Right click on the exe file and choose Run as administrator.
Option 2: Confirm permissions
- If this is in a managed/supervised environment, confirm with your IT Administrator that you have the correct permissions to install software on the computer.
- Confirm that you username has Full Control permissions to the folder where you are installing Snagit. Also check the permissions on the parent folders of that destination.
Option 3: Check third party software
- Some security software can block software from installing. Try closing out of, or pausing all security software, and then attempt to install Snagit again.
- We have seen an application called MyWinLocker prevent users from making the require permission changes. Uninstalling MyWinLocker may resolve the problem.