All Operating Systems
One of the most common reasons audio is not captured, is because the Recording Device is set to Mute in Jing. Clicking the Unmute button below the recording window will enable audio recording:
If you are still unable to record audio after checking this option, please ensure that you have the correct device selected. More information on selecting a recording input device (microphone) can be found in this article.
Windows 7 or Vista:
- Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Hardware and Sound > Sound and select the Recording tab.
- Right-click in this window and select Show Disabled Devices to see additional recording sources. Depending on the sound card and its drivers, the may enable the Stereo Mix or What you Hear option in Windows Vista / 7. This will allow Jing to record system audio.
Select the desired recording device, right-click, and choose .
- Navigate to Start > Control Panel > Sounds and Audio Devices and select the Audio tab.
- In the Sound Recording section, verify your sound card is selected as the default device.
- Click the Volume button located in the Sound Recording section to open the Recording Control dialog box.
- In the Recording Control dialog, choose Options > Properties.
- In the bottom half of the box, clicking the check box next to an option will turn it On (checked) or Off (unchecked).
- Click OK to close this box and return to Recording Control.
- In this dialog box, select your new Default Recording source by enable the Select check box and then close it.
Mac OS X:
OS X does not have built-in support for recording Application or System audio. If you need to record from this source, Soundflower* must be installed. After installing Soundflower, follow these steps to set up Audio Recording on your Mac.
If you are running Mac OS 10.8 or above, then the installation for Soundflower may be prevented by security settings. To install Soundflower, control click on the .pkg file and then choose open. You will then be prompted with a message saying that Soundflower is from an unidentified developer. Click the Open button in this window to install Soundflower.
- Click on the Apple Menu and go to System Preferences.
- Select Sound to open the Sound Preferences pane.
- Click on the Output tab and select Soundflower (2ch) as your output.
- Click on the Input tab to select the Soundflower (2ch) option.
- After making this selection, you will need to open the Soundflowerbed program. Navigate to Applications > Soundflower and double-click Soundflowerbed to run the program. You may need to set proper Read & Write permissions so you can access the Soundflower folder.
- In the Soundflowerbed menu bar item, select the Soundflower 2CH Built-in Output option.
- Finally, in Jing go to More > Preferences > Audio input and Select device... Choose the Soundflower (2Ch) option.
You will now be able to record System Audio, however this will not allow you to record from the Microphone, you will have to switch back and forth in your Sound Settings and Jing.