This problem can occur for a couple of different reasons. Please review the following known causes of this issue.
Sometimes a crash can occur because of a bad preferences file. Jing's preferences file is called com.techsmith.jing.plist. Deleting this file will force Jing to create a new version of the file.
It is recommended to make a backup copy of this file before removing it.
The plist file is located in: Your Home Folder > Library > Preferences
Sometimes a bad DataStore can cause a crash. To resolve this:
- Quit Jing if it's running
- Navigate to Your Home Folder > Library > Application Support > TechSmith > Jing
- In this folder rename the Bin folder to Bin_OLD
- Restart Jing and try to take a capture.
The Jing crosshairs may not appear when a large number of items are located on the menu bar. Close additional programs and restart Jing to resolve this.
If the above does not resolve the issue, please submit a case here and send in the following information as attachments with a description of the issue:
- Navigate to Your Home Folder > Library > Logs > CrashReporter
- Locate any files that begin with Jing
- Please send me all of those files
- JingRESTCall.log (useful for undiagnosed screencast.com upload problems)