There is a known issue with Jing on Mac where setting a transparent background causes this problem. The first character of the text is visible, but no other text is able to be input.
In order to resolve this problem.
- Hover over the Jing window, then click on the more ball.
- On the Jing sun, please click Exit and confirm you want to exit.
- After that please go to your spotlight search and type in "Terminal" and then hit enter.
- After that please copy/paste the following into that window:
defaults delete ~/Library/Preferences/com.techSmith.jing.plist fontBackgroundColor
- After that hit enter and you should see another line come up with no real indication that anything happened.
- Please then open Jing again and test to see if the text boxes are back to normal and working.