This behavior can occur when changing the resolution of your monitor to a non native resolution and then trying to record.
We have a workaround to the issue.
- Close out of Camtasia Studio and the Camtasia Recorder so neither of them are running at all .
- Right click on the start button and choose Run .
- In the Run Window, type the following and then hit Enter: regedit
- Browse to the following location using the pane on the left: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\8.0\Camtasia Recorder\8.0
- With the 8.0 folder selected, you should see an item on the right called "RecorderConfig" - double click that.
- In the small window that opens, copy all of the information in the "Value data:" field and paste it into a new Notepad document. *If you don't see anything in this field, it is still there. Do the following: Put your mouse cursor in the box. Hit Ctrl + A to highlight everything in it or use your mouse cursor and mouse to select everything in it. Hit Ctrl + C to copy it to your clipboard and then paste in into a new Notepad document.
- Find <captureEngineType>0</captureEngineType> and change the 0 to a 1
- paste this information back into the "Value data" field in the registry window.
- Close out of the Registry and try Camtasia again and see if it works
Here is a video of those steps.