The problem described below is not an issue on Snagit 13 and later.
After installing the Windows 10 Anniversary Update, Snagit appears to be recording from the microphone, however, audio is not actually being recorded. But the system audio continues to work.
Snagit appears to be recording but after the recording opens in the Editor, only a few seconds of the recording plays back.
Option 1: Automatic Fix
This option will only work if Snagit is installed in the default install directory.
Default Install Directory
C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 12\
C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Snagit 12\
- Close Snagit
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + ESC or Ctrl + Alt + Delete.
- Click Show More Details in the bottom left of the Task Manager window and click Processes.
- Right-click all links that say Snagit in the "S" section and select End Task or End Process.
- Close Task Manager.
- Download the Snagit 12 Automatic Fix tool and save to your computer.
- Double-click the "Snagit12Fix.exe" file to run it. You will be prompted with a Windows UAC window asking you for permission. Select Yes.
- Reopen Snagit when complete.
Option 2: Manual Fix
- Close Snagit
- Open Task Manager by pressing Ctrl + Shift + ESC.
- Click Processes and make sure "SnagIt32.exe", "SnagItEditor.exe", and "SnagPriv.exe" are not running in the list.
- Browse to the location where Snagit is installed on your computer. In the Snagit 12 folder, locate the "TSCRec3.dll" file.
- Right-click the file and select Rename. Rename it to "TSCRec3.dll.bak".
- Download the following file and save it to your computer: Snagit 12 Manual Fix
- Right-click the TSCRec3.dll and selected Copy. The file will be extracted from the ZIP file.
- Browse back to where Snagit is installed on your computer.
- Right-click the Snagit 12 folder and select Paste.
- Reboot the computer.
- Launch Snagit.