Use markers to:
- Create navigation points. If you include a table of contents in the final video, the markers appear as interactive table of contents entries.
Mark editing points such as mistakes during recording, portions of the recording to cut out, etc.
- Set points to split a long video into multiple videos.
When you record a PowerPoint or Keynote presentation, Camtasia automatically creates markers on the timeline for each slide.
To Add a Marker
Press Ctrl+M to open the Marker view. Or, manually toggle the Marker view on or off here:
Once the marker view is open, you are in marker mode which allows you to quickly and efficiently add new markers and edit existing ones.
- Move the cursor over the marker track or a media clip. A blue diamond appears.
- Click on the timeline or media to create the marker.
- When finished adding markers, hide the marker view by clicking the toggle button.
Markers can be added to the timeline or pinned to media on the timeline.
- By default, markers are added as timeline markers.
- When added to the timeline, markers stay in the same location regardless of what media is added, moved, or deleted on the timeline.
- When pinned to a media or group, if the media/group is moved, deleted, copied, or pasted, the marker goes with it.
|To perform this task...||To this...|
|Show / Hide marker view||
Click on an existing marker. Markers are seen as blue triangles on the timeline or media.
|Select between Markers||
|Timeline Select to Previous Marker||Ctrl +Shift+[|
|Timeline Select to Next Marker||Ctrl+Shift+]|
Change Marker Name
If you include a table of contents when you produce a video, the marker names appear as the table of contents entries within the video.
Click on marker > Enter new name in Properties > press Enter.
Right-click marker > Enter new name in Properties > press Enter.
Click on marker then type name.
Turn a timeline marker into a media marker
Turn a media marker into a timeline marker
|Move the location of a marker||Grab the marker by the "flag" or name and drag to desired position.|
|Delete a marker||
|Delete all markers||
Choose Modify > Markers > Delete all Markers
Choose Modify > Markers > Remove All
|Split media at the point of all markers||
Choose Modify > Markers > Split at All Markers
|Add a marker while recording the screen||
While Recorder is running, press Ctrl+M.
Create an Interactive Table of Contents (TOC)
For your viewers to make use of Camtasia's interactive features such as a table of contents, closed captions, search capability, hotspot functionality and quizzing, playback in the TechSmith Smart Player is required. When producing the final video to share, choose an MP4 option or share to Screencast.com. Hosting your video on Screencast.com provides the optimal viewing experience since the SmartPlayer is built into Screencast.com.
The option to include an interactive TOC from markers on the timeline is only available when sharing/producing to an option that contains the Smart Player such as MP4 and Screencast.com.
Camtasia Mac Interactive TOC
- Select Share > Screencast.com or Share > File Format > Export to MP4.
- Select one of the following to export a video with a table of contents
- For Screencast.com: Log in and select the Create table of contents from markers option. Click Share.
- For Export as Web Page: Select the Create table of contents from markers option. Click Export.
To use the interactive TOC in the video, click the Table of Contents button on the player bar.
Camtasia Windows Interactive TOC
Choose Share > Screencast.com or, to create an MP4 file with custom TOC settings:
- Select Share button > Custom production settings > New Custom Production > MP4 - Smart Player (HTML 5) > Next > Next > Next > Marker Options.
- From within the Marker Options screen, choose the desired TOC options.
- Step through the rest of the Production Wizard to complete the production process.
- Upload the final video to Screencast.com.
|Table of Contents Option||Description|
|Number marker entries||Number the table of contents entries sequentially in the produced TOC.|
|Table of contents initially visible||
Check to show the table of contents when the video plays.
If unchecked, the viewer will need to turn on the TOC via a button on the video controller.
|Enable or disable markers for TOC entries||Disable any markers you do not want to appear in the table of contents.|
|Rename||To rename a TOC entry, double-click the entry in the list and type a new name. Or, select the entry from the list and click Rename.|
|Fixed Left||Choose to position TOC on the left side of the video.|
|Fixed Right||Choose to position TOC on the right side of the video.|
Text with thumbnail: TOC shows both the thumbnail and the text
Text only: TOC shows only the text
Thumbnail only: TOC shows only the thumbnail
Did you find what you were looking for? Provide feedback.