The timeline displays the sequence of all media in a video. Use the timeline to assemble a video. To learn more about working on the timeline, see Timeline Basics.
Make a Selection
Select media to edit, move, or delete on the timeline.
|Select part of the timeline
Click and drag the playhead's green or red handles to make a selection. The selected area is highlighted in blue.
For a precise selection, drag the Zoom slider to zoom in on the timeline content.
|Select media on timeline
Click to select media. Shift+click to select multiple media.
To select all media in an area on the timeline, click and drag the cursor on the timeline.
Remove Unwanted Parts
Delete media or selection
To Delete Media:
Select media on the timeline and press Delete.
To Delete a Timeline Selection:
- Lock tracks on timeline that contain media you do not want to delete.
Click and drag the playhead's green or red handles to make a selection. For a precise selection, drag the Zoom slider to zoom in on the timeline content.
- Press Delete on the keyboard.
Cut media or selection
A cut removes a selection from the timeline and adds it to the clipboard.
- When using the Cut tool, no gap is left on the timeline and remaining media is stitched together.
- If desired, paste the media elsewhere onto the timeline.
- You can cut a single clip or across multiple clips.
To Cut Media:
Select media on the timeline and click the Cut button .
To Cut a Timeline Selection:
- Lock tracks on timeline that contain media you do not want to cut.
- Click and drag the playhead's green or red handles to make a selection. For a precise selection, drag the Zoom slider to zoom in on the timeline content.
- Click the Cut button . The selection is cut and media on timeline shifts and is stitched together.
- To paste the selection on the timeline, move the playhead to a new location and click the Paste button .
Mark-in or mark-out a clip
Remove time from the beginning or end of a clip. The mark-in/mark-out option hides a portion of the clip instead of cutting it.
- Click to select a clip on the timeline.
- Hover the cursor over the beginning or end of the clip.
- Drag the end of the clip in or out.
Insert Space or Extend Media
Use the following actions to move media together or sync video and audio.
Extend the frame of a video clip
Extend a frame in a video clip to extend the duration to match the audio or voice narration.
- Drag the playhead to the frame to extend.
- Click to select the clip on the timeline.
- Right-click the clip and select Extend Frame or press Shift+E on the keyboard.
- The Extend Frame dialog appears. Enter the desired duration of the extended frame.
- Click OK.
You can also extend the frame by holding the Alt key (Windows) or Option key (Mac) while dragging the end of a clip.
While extending the frame, hold the Shift key to move the media on the same track to the right of the extended frame.
Divide media into two clips.
- You can move and edit each clip separately.
- Split clips to insert transitions, title slides, or graphics between scenes.
To Split Media:
- Drag the playhead to the location to split.
- Click to select media to split. To select multiple pieces of media, Ctrl+click (Windows) or Cmd+click (Mac) to select the media.
- Click Split or press S on the keyboard.
The clip splits into two separate clips.
Move media to insert space (Ripple Move)
Move Media on One Track:
Hold the Shift key and drag the media to a new location. Everything to the right of the clip moves with the selection.
Move Media on Multiple Tracks:
- Shift+click to select the first clip on each track.
- Hold the Shift key and drag the media to a new location. Everything to the right of the clip moves with the selection.
|Insert space at a specific point (Ripple Split)
Hold the Shift key and drag the playhead. Camtasia splits the media across all tracks and moves everything to the right of the playhead with the selection.
See Ripple Move and Extend Frame Tutorial.
Common Editing Tasks
|Group media on the timeline
Group media on the timeline to:
- Help keep the timeline organized.
- Resize all the media on the canvas at one time retaining the proper aspect ratio.
- Move media together on the timeline or on the canvas.
- Copy and paste frequently used sequences.
- Save frequently-used sequences in the Library for use from project to project.
- Tracks within a group cannot be locked.
- Groups can contain an unlimited number of media or tracks.
- Groups can be added to other groups.
- Drag media in or out of a group.
To Create a Group:
- Shift+click to select media to add to the group.
- Right-click the selection and select Group or press Ctrl+G.
Edit a Group:
- Double-click the group title to rename it.
- Click the plus/minus icon to open or close a group.
- Right-click a group and select Ungroup. Media from the group retains its original position on the timeline.
To Stitch Media Together:
Right-click the location where the two media clips touch and select Stitch Media.
To separate media, right-click on the stitch and select Unstitch.
|Save a video frame as an image
Save the current frame (on the canvas) as an image file (BMP, GIF, JPG, or PNG).
- Drag the playhead until the desired frame is displayed on the canvas.
- Select Share > Export frame as.
- The Export Frame As dialog appears. Enter a file name and select a file location.
- Select a file format from the Save as type field.
- Click Save.