Snagit appears to launch, and the icon is visible in the system tray, yet no capture window every appears. In task manager, Snagit32.exe ranges between 50%-100% all the time.
This is a known issue that is fixed in Snagit 2018.2.3, and 2019.0.1 and later. Select Help > Check for Updates in Snagit to install the latest version.
Workaround for Earlier Versions
This only happens on 32 bit machines that do not have a recording device connected. Please use one of the solutions below to fix the problem.
Option 1: Connect a Microphone
If you have access to a microphone, connect it to the computer and restart Snagit.
Option 2: Registry Edit
- Exit Snagit and the Snagit Editor. Confirm that they are not running in Task Manager.
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: regedit
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TechSmith\Features\snagit.
- Click the snagit folder.
- Right-click the DeviceAudioFromSDK item on the right and select Modify. Change the value from 1 to 0.
- Close the Registry Editor, and open Snagit.