When attempting to start Camtasia, this error is displayed:
"Unable to start Camtasia. If this problem persists, please contact Technical Support."
- Install the latest version from this link to see if it resolves the issue.
- If that doesn't work, try these steps:
- Go to this location: C:\Users\Public
- Delete the Techsmith folder
- Open Camtasia 2020 and see if it now opens
- If the same issue occurs please reach out to our support team by submitting a ticket so we can troubleshoot further.
Reason 1: Error After Stopping a Recording
Try this step first
- Right click on Camtasia Recorder in the windows start menu and choose Run as Administrator
- See if you get the same error
If this error is still happening when stopping a recording, please try the suggestions in these support articles:
- Camtasia (Windows): Error When Recording "Failed to Start Recording: Temp Folder Uninitialized"
- Camtasia (Windows): “The Temporary Directory Used by Camtasia is Invalid”
Reason 2: Error Starting Camtasia
If this error is happening when trying to start Camtasia, try this step:
- Right click on Camtasia in the windows start menu and choose Run as Administrator
If that does not work, please submit a support ticket with Technical Support.
Reason 3: Recorder set to produce instantly or clicking produce in Preview window
If this error is happening when you have Camtasia Recorder set to produce instantly, or when you click on the produce button within the preview window after the recorder has finished, then please follow these steps. Open Camtasia Recorder>Tools>Options>Program and set this to the default options as shown in the setting below. Once set, try Camtasia again.