When attempting a video capture with the TechSmith Capture for Windows, the following error is displayed:
An error occurred while recording and the recording file could not be opened. Please try recording again.
Relay Recorder settings can be changed to use software mode instead of hardware mode (default). Depending on the computer and hardware being used, this may improve the performance.
- Exit TechSmith Capture. Confirm that it is not running in Task Manager.
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: regedit
- Browse to HKEY_CURRENT_USER\Software\TechSmith\Features\RelayRecorder.
- Click the RelayRecorder folder.
- Right-click the AllowHwVideoEncoding item on the right and select Modify.
- Change the Value data field from 1 to 0, and press OK.
- Close the Registry Editor, and open TechSmith Capture, and try a new recording.
If issues persist, please submit a support ticket.