While editing in Snagit such as using tools, cropping, or trimming a video, the computer freezes with the spinning wait cursor (also known as the "spinning wheel", or the "spinning beach ball").
First, make sure the latest updates for your version of Snagit are installed. From the menu bar, select Snagit > Check for Updates to install updates. If the problem continues, try the steps below.
Option 1: Check All System Preferences
- Close Snagit.
- Open System Preferences > Security & Privacy > Privacy.
- Click the Padlock icon in the lower left corner and enter your password.
- Go through every category in the list (located on the left), and select Snagit from the list on the right to grant access.
- Try editing in Snagit again.
Option 2: Close Other Programs
If there are any other programs running you do not need, please close these completely to free up resources. Follow the steps here to verify other programs are completely closed.
Then relaunch Snagit and try again.
Option 3: Rebuild Library
In some cases large Libraries can cause performance issues. To rebuild the Snagit Library please quit Snagit and move the media to a different location. Go to the current location of the Autosaved Captures folder on the computer. By default, this folder is located in the following locations:
- Non-App Store: ~\Documents\Snagit\Autosaved Captures
- App Store: ~\Pictures\Snagit\Autosaved Captures
- New Snagit 2020+ Users: ~\Pictures\Snagit\Autosaved Captures
- Snagit 2020+ Users That Upgraded From a Previous Version: ~\Documents\Snagit\Autosaved Captures
The files can be moved to a new location as a backup. Once you verify the files are backed up in a new location please verify the Autosaved Captures folder is now empty. Try opening Snagit and editing a new image to verify the issue has been resolved.
Any images or videos that need to be edited in Snagit can be added back to Snagit by moving them to the Autosaved Captures folder or Selecting File > Open in the Snagit Editor.