Camtasia can work with various webcams and cameras. This can be USB webcams, USB cameras, virtual cameras or even cameras connected to USB capture devices.
Cameras, Webcams or Virtual Cameras
- Reincubate Camo*
- Logitech Capture*
- Elgato Cam Link 4K (various cameras are compatible)*
- Logitech Brio
- Logitech C920
- Logitech C922
- Logitech 9000 Pro
- Logitech C910
- Logitech C310
- Logitech QuickCam Pro 4000
- Logitech QuickCam S5500
- Internal Webcams
* = Camtasia 2021 or later.
Cameras, Webcams or Virtual Cameras
*These apps have produced mixed results.
We are working to provide greater camera compatibility in Camtasia and would love to hear from you. If you're working with any camera setup, including any of the above and are having trouble we'd love to collect more information so we can do further testing on our end or just assist you in general. Please submit a support ticket with the following information:
- Windows or Mac
- Details around your setup and workflow
- What are you looking to accomplish with your camera, webcam or virtual camera?
Audio Sync Issues with Webcams
After recording the screen and webcam, the video and audio are out of sync. Change the graphic settings on your computer to High performance:
- Click on your Windows 10 Start Menu and go to Settings
- Go to System
- Scroll down to the bottom and click on Graphics Settings
- Make sure Desktop App is selected under the Choose an app to set preference
- Click on Browse and browse to: C:\Program Files\TechSmith\Camtasia 2022
- Click on CamtasiaStudio.exe and click on Add
- Click on Options and then select the High performance option
- Repeat steps 5-7 above except add CamtasiaRecorder.exe instead
Video of the steps above:
Webcam Shows as Unavailable in the Camtasia Recorder
This can occur when using a program called BitDefender. BitDefender has a webcam protection feature to not let other programs use the webcam. Here is where the setting can be turned off.
There are other programs out there which can block your webcam from being used so check to make sure no other program is blocking it.
Camera Does Not initialize in the Camtasia Recorder
This may be due to new privacy settings in Windows 10. For more information, see this article.
Change the Camera Record Method (Camtasia 2019 and Earlier)
- Exit Camtasia and the Camtasia Recorder. Confirm that they are not running in Task Manager.
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: regedit
- Browse to:
- Camtasia 2019: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\19.0\Camtasia Recorder\19.0
- Camtasia 2018: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\18.0\Camtasia Recorder\18.0
- Camtasia 9: HKEY_CURRENT_USER\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\Camtasia Studio\9.0\Camtasia Recorder\9.0
- Click the 19.0, 18.0, or 9.0 folder (depending on the version of Camtasia).
- Right-click the RecorderConfig item on the right and select Modify.
- Copy all of the information in the Value data field.
If there does not appear to be anything in the Value data field, it is still there. Click in the Value data field, press Control + A to select everything in the field, then press Control + C to copy the contents to your clipboard.
- Paste the contents into a blank text file (Notepad can be used for this).
- Find <CameraRecordingSDKSource>1</CameraRecordingSDKSource> and change the value from 1 to 0. If the value is already set to 0, change it to a 1.
- Copy all of the contents in the text file, and paste the information back into the Value data field in the Registry Editor.
- Click OK
- Close the Registry Editor, and open Camtasia.