My video file size is too big.
The following variables affect the video production size and quality:
As a general rule of thumb, produce the video to the MP4/h.264 format to deliver the best quality with smallest file size. MP4 is the default output in Camtasia and is a popular format for web-based delivery. AVI, MOV, or WMV can be a good choice for CD or DVD delivery.
Video Dimensions (in pixels)
Large video resolution can dramatically increase file size. Try these tips to help reduce the file size based on video dimensions:
- Limit your video to no larger than 1280 by 720 pixels.
- Do not record your entire screen. Or, use Zoom-n-Pan animations to scale down the video dimensions while focusing viewer's attention on a specific portion of the screen.
- Reduce the screen resolution before recording the screen activity.
- The video dimensions are set in the Project Settings or in the production settings.
Amount of Movement in the Video
The file size increases as more movement is included in a video. For example, recording text-based presentation slides produces a smaller file size than recording a live video.
- Limit unnecessary movements in a screen recording. For example, avoid dragging windows on the screen or adding animations in a PowerPoint presentation.
- Produce to the MP4 format to mitigate some file size issues associated with movement.
You can reduce the file size by compressing the audio during production. The MP4 format uses AAC audio compression which produces a good combination of audio quality and file size. It is uncommon for uncompressed audio to produce a significant audio difference for your viewers. Unless you are featuring an orchestral masterpiece or you recorded mono audio, compress the audio during production.
The frame rate determines how many frames per second are shown to the viewer. The Camtasia custom production settings allow for between 1 and 30 frames per second (fps). The default is 30 fps. If your recording content has limited movement, such as a PowerPoint presentation, you can decrease the frame rate. The frame rate is set in Camtasia Recorder. You can also change the frame rate during the production process.
Recording Technology Used
Camtasia uses the TSC2 recording codec which is ideal for screen activity and full-motion video. If you are recording a game on Windows, you may consider using the screen recorder called Fraps. The screen recorder is ideal for recording the entire screen, full-motion video, and high frame rates.