This problem happens for all captures and is not related to hardware acceleration like image or video capture from a video. If all applications are closed and you capture only the desktop with any input set, this problem still occurs. Turning hardware acceleration on or off will not solve this issue.
The issue is related to security software blocking screen capture. We have identified that the following applications can cause problems with capturing the screen with Snagit, however other security software may cause the same issue:
- Webroot (Identity protection module)
- Norton's CrimeWare
- Trusteer Rapport
- Zone Alarm, Zonealarm Forcefield
- Anti-Key Logger by SpyDex
Most of these applications have a Safe or White list that Snagit can be added to. Norton's CrimeWare, however, does not have an editable safe list like other protection software and must be closed for Snagit to capture an image.
With Webroot, we have noticed the screen go black after you initiate a capture with certain windows open. This is related to the Webroot Identity protection module. If you turn this off your capture should work.
- Go to Identity Protection settings:
- Go to the Application Protection tab, then Add Application at the bottom right. Add Snagit32.exe via the path indicated in the screenshot below. Then, set that to Allow or Protect.
- Snagit 13
- C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 13\Snagit32.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 13\SnagitEditor.exe
- Snagit 12
- C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 12\Snagit32.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 12\SnagitEditor.exe
- Snagit 11
- C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 11\Snagit32.exe
- C:\Program Files (x86)\TechSmith\Snagit 11\SnagitEditor.exe
- Open the Trusteer Rapport Management Console
- Click the green arrow in the bottom right corner
- Choose Edit Policy
- Change Block Screen Capturing to Never
- Click Save