Editing 4K video footage requires a large amount of computer power. To help provide the best 4K editing experience, we've included some information and tips.
What type of machine was used in Camtasia's 4K testing?
Processor: Intel(R) Core(TM) i7-4770 CPU @ 3.40GHz (8 CPUs), ~3.4GHz
Memory: 16GB RAM
Graphics: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 745
- Display Memory: 12197 MB
- Dedicated Memory: 4035 MB
- Shared Memory: 8161 MB
What was the editing performance based on the specifications from the machine above?
Editing 4K content performed very well. The playback performance appeared smooth even when adding multiple effects. We tested editing the following timeline content:
- Screen video recorded on a 4K monitor
- Full-motion 4K content generated from an iPhone
- A single 30fps 4K video playing
- Two 30fps 1080p videos playing simultaneously
Can I still edit 4K video if my machine does not meet the specifications above?
Camtasia does not prevent you from editing 4K content. However, on lower powered machines, the playback performance could appear choppy and you may experience program slowness while editing. If editing 4K content, we recommend a machine with similar specifications as the computer listed above.
What are some other tips to make sure I get the best 4K editing experience?
- Edit on a 4K monitor to reduce any scaling that would occur on a smaller monitor.
- Select File > Project Settings > Custom. Make sure your Project Settings are set to 3840x2160.
- Keep the source content on a local hard drive or a SSD drive.