When installing the System Audio Component the install cannot be authorized and fails on macOS 11 or later.
System Audio recording results in poor, distorted, or lost audio.
This is a known issue that is fixed in Snagit 2019.1.11, 2020.2.2, 2021.0.2, and later. From the menu bar, select Snagit > Check for Updates to install the latest version.
Snagit 2022.2.3 and later on macOS 13 (Ventura) does not require the System Audio extension. If you are running macOS 13 and Snagit 2022 or later from the menu bar, select Snagit > Check for Updates to install the latest version.
If the problems continue, try the suggestions below.
Option 1: Reinstall the component
- Open Snagit.
- Select Snagit > Preferences > Capture.
- Click Uninstall Component.
- Restart the computer.
- Install the System Audio Component here.
- Open System Preferences.
- Click Security & Privacy.
- Select General.
- Click Allow at the bottom.
- Try a new recording in Snagit.
Option 2: Authorize the System Audio Plugin
- After installing the System Audio Plugin if you see an error that it needs to be authorized please open the macOS System Preferences.
- Open Security & Privacy.
- Select General and click the Padlock. Then enter the computer password to make changes.
- Click Allow next to System software from developer "Rogue Amoeba Software, LLC" was blocked from loading.
- Try restarting Snagit and recording again.
macOS 11 (Big Sur) requires Snagit 2019 or later. If you are using a previous version this has not been updated to work with the latest macOS. You can view our macOS support matrix in this article.
Option 3: Remove Old Plugin
- Quit Snagit and the System Preferences.
- Open a Finder window.
- Select Go > Go to folder from the menu bar.
- Type the following and click Go:
- Delete the ACE.driver folder.
- Restart the computer.
- Install the system audio component through Snagit.
Option 4: Re-Enable Component
If macOS still fails to show the correct prompt to authorize the ACE component for use, you’ll need to manually authorize it. This is done by entering the Mac's Recovery mode.
Once booted into Recovery, open the Terminal utility and enter the following commands pressing return after each one:
spctl kext-consent disable spctl kext-consent add 7266XEXAPM spctl kext-consent enable
After entering those commands, restart your Mac.
- Follow the steps to reinstall the component through Snagit.
Once ACE is properly authorized and installed it can be uninstalled and even reinstalled, without requiring any further system-level authorization.