When installing the System Audio Component the install fails. Recording system audio on macOS 11 (or later) with Camtasia results in an error message, distorted audio, or no audio at all.
Please make sure you are running the latest version of Camtasia. From the menu bar, select Camtasia > Check for Updates to install the latest version.
If you are planning to upgrade to macOS 13 (Ventura) please read the following information before updating: Camtasia and macOS 13 Ventura
macOS 12 (Monterey) requires Camtasia 2021 or later. If you are using a previous version this has not been updated to work with the latest macOS. You can view our macOS support matrix in this article. If the problems continue, try the suggestions below:
Option 1: Reinstall the Component
- Open Camtasia.
- Select Camtasia > Preferences.
- Select the Recording tab and then click on Uninstall Plugin. (Skip this step if Uninstall is not an option)
- Close Camtasia and restart the computer.
- Reinstall the latest component here.
Option 2: Authorize the System Audio Plugin
- After installing the System Audio Plugin if you see an error that it needs to be authorized please open the macOS System Preferences.
- Open Security & Privacy.
- Select General and click the Padlock. Then enter the computer password to make changes.
- Click Allow next to System software from developer "Rogue Amoeba Software, LLC" was blocked from loading.
- Try restarting Camtasia and recording again.
Option 3: Remove Old Plugin
- Quit Camtasia and the System Preferences.
- Open a Finder window.
- Select Go > Go to folder from the menu bar.
- Type the following and click Go:
- Delete the ACE.driver folder.
- Restart the computer.
- Install the system audio component through Camtasia.
Option 4: Re-Enable Component
If macOS still fails to show the correct prompt to authorize the ACE component for use, you’ll need to manually authorize it. This is done by entering the Mac's Recovery mode.
Once booted into Recovery, open the Terminal utility and enter the following commands pressing return after each one:
spctl kext-consent disable spctl kext-consent add 7266XEXAPM spctl kext-consent enable
After entering those commands, restart your Mac.
- Follow the steps to reinstall the component through Camtasia.
Once ACE is properly authorized and installed it can be uninstalled and even reinstalled, without requiring any further system-level authorization.