When opening the Snagit Editor, many of the menu's and buttons are missing.
There are many potential causes for this behavior. Please try the steps below to resolve the problem.
Option 1: Reinstall Snagit
One option to try is to reinstall Snagit. Before uninstalling Snagit, make sure you have a copy of your license key.
- Uninstall Snagit through the control panel.
- Reboot your computer.
- Reinstall Snagit (to download, click here).
Option 2: Check and update drivers
Many problems can be resolved by simply updating the hardware drivers on your computer. This is done by visiting your computer manufacturer's support site, and looking up your model computer to see if there are any updates available.
Some of the most popular manufacturer's support sites are listed below.
Option 3: Disconnect external devices
Some third party devices can also present problems. To attempt to rule them out as a potential cause, try disconnecting them one by one, then restart Snagit to see if there is any difference. Some examples include:
- Docking stations
- External monitors (recommended 1-3 maximum when using Snagit)
Option 4: Reset configuration files
This process will reset some of the configuration files in Snagit, which can help in some cases if they have become corrupt.
Warning! This process will reset your Custom Tool Bar, QuickStyles, QuickEffects, Capture Presets, Share History, and Program Outputs.
- Close out of Snagit and make sure it is not running at all. Make sure it is not running in your system tray either.
- Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then hit the R key to open the run window:
- Type the following and then hit enter:
- Cut and paste all of the XML files here to your Desktop (or some other safe location).
- Reopen Snagit and see if it works.
If this does solve the problem, you can try restoring the QuickStyles and QuickEffects by copying those XML files back into the original location. For further assistance, please contact our support team.
Option 5: Roll back display drivers
Warning! Be cautious when rolling back drivers, and perform at your own risk. We highly recommend having a backup of your system and any important files before attempting these steps.
- Hold down the Windows key on your keyboard and then hit the R key to open the run window.
- Type the following and then hit enter: devmgmt.msc
- Expand the Display adapters section.
- Right click on your display device and choose Properties > Driver tab.
- Select Roll Back Driver.
Option 6: Change Snagit to display in software mode (Snagit 2018 and later)
Using the steps below, Snagit can be force to display in software mode rather than hardware mode. This will not affect the performance of video capture.
- Exit Snagit and the Snagit Editor. Confirm that they are not running in Task Manager.
- Press Windows+R on your keyboard to open the Run window.
- Type the following and click OK: regedit
- Browse to (where ## is the version of Snagit): HKEY_LOCAL_MACHINE\SOFTWARE\TechSmith\SnagIt\##.
- Right-click the blank area on the right and choose New > DWORD (32 bit) Value.
- Give the new value the name ForceSoftwareRendering.
- Right-click the ForceSoftwareRendering item on the right and select Modify.
- Change the Value data field from 0 to 1, and press OK.
- Close the Registry Editor, and open Snagit.