- Can I Store Media Files to the Cloud (iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc.) for Use in Camtasia?
- Can I Archive or Backup Files to the Cloud?
- Can I Playback or Display Videos, View Screen Captures Created from TechSmith Products?
- How Does Cloud Storage Differ from Screencast.com, Youtube, Vimeo, etc?
Can I Store Media Files to the Cloud (iCloud, Dropbox, Google Drive, Box, etc.) for Use in Camtasia?
We recommend using a local hard drive to store any media and project files used in Camtasia projects in Windows and Mac. Network drives or cloud storage may not work properly and can cause Camtasia to crash, projects to not open, and have poor performance. Camtasia relies heavily on read/write access to the files it's working on (source media, .tscproj). Therefore the speeds and consistency of that read/write access are very important to make sure the software can do what it needs, when it needs it. When you introduce cloud storage or a company network drive, instead of a consistent read/write speed of a local hard disk (which is super reliable) we're now depending on the consistency of the network speeds. So it may work most of the time, but if there is a hiccup in the network speed, that's going to affect Camtasia as we're constantly reading in that file from that location to play it back in the timeline.
Can I Archive or Backup Files to the Cloud?
Yes, any media or project files not in active use can be stored externally.
TREC/CAMREC files can be directly uploaded to the cloud without any issues.
- Camtasia 2019 and Later: File > Export > Zipped Project
- Camtasia 9/2018: File > Export as Zip
- Camtasia 8 and Eariler: File > Export project as zip
If attempting to save a project to the cloud within Camtasia, this message is displayed.
.CMPROJ files should be compressed to a ZIP file before uploading to the cloud if you wish to archive or back it up to the cloud:
- Camtasia 2019 and Earlier: File > Save As
- Select Create standalone project before saving the file to your local hard drive.
- Open Finder. Locate file.
- Right-click and choose Compress [file_name].
- Upload to cloud storage
Can I Playback or Display Videos, View Screen Captures Created from TechSmith Products?
Most cloud storage accounts may offer an option to share files via a public folder. Check with your storage provider to see what file formats can be played back from your account.
How Does Cloud Storage Differ from Screencast.com, Youtube, Vimeo, etc?
Hosting platforms such as screencast.com and YouTube are designed to present media. Cloud storage contain synchronization, versioning, encryption, and other features required for file storage. The purpose of the cloud is to store files, not view them.