Quickly record anything on your screen with the TechSmith Capture video recorder.
Record a Video
- Sign into Screencast. Click the Launch Recorder button.
- The launch website opens. If a prompt appears, allow your computer to open the application. If you are unable to launch TechSmith Capture, click the Download and Install link.
For issues installing TechSmith Capture on MacOS 10.15 Catalina, see this support article.
- The Capture dialog appears. To record live video from the connected or built-in webcam, click the Webcam button and choose a connected camera device from the dropdown. Screen video is not recorded when the webcam option is enabled.
Record a 10-15 second test recording to check to make sure your audio and video devices are set up properly.
- Click the Capture button or press Shift+F11 (Windows) or Command+Shift+1 (Mac).
- Click and drag the crosshairs to select an area to record or select Fullscreen to capture the entire screen.
- The capture toolbar appears. Click the Video Capture button.
- The video recording toolbar appears. Review and adjust the recording settings:
- Microphone Audio: Click the microphone to enable. Select an audio recording device from the microphone dropdown.
Webcam: Record live video from the connected or built-in webcam. Click the webcam to enable and select a connected camera device from the dropdown. Screen video is not recorded when the webcam option is enabled.
System Audio: Record the sound from your computer such as application alerts or the audio playing from your computer speakers.
To adjust the size of the selection, drag the handles or type custom dimensions in pixels into the Width and Height fields and press Enter.
To move the selected area on the screen, click and drag the selection to the desired location.
- To start the video recording, click the Record button. If recording the entire screen, a smaller toolbar appears.
- If previously enabled, click the Webcam button during recording to toggle on/off.
- Click the Microphone or System Audio buttons during recording to toggle on/off.
- To pause recording, click the Pause button.
- To stop the recording, click the Stop button.
- To restart the recording, click the Start Over button. If you select this option during or after recording, the recording is permanently deleted.
- To cancel the recording, click the Cancel button. If you select this option during or after recording, the recording is permanently deleted.
- The Video Preview dialog appears. Click the Upload to Screencast button to upload your content to Screencast.com. If you select the Cancel button, the recording is permanently deleted.
Tip for Windows Users
For quick access, you can add TechSmith Capture to your taskbar. Click the Windows Start button and browse to TechSmith Capture in Apps. Right-click the TechSmith Capture option and select More > Pin to taskbar.
Did you find what you were looking for? Provide feedback.