- Where do I find my software key?
- How do I unlock my software?
- What is the difference between a key code, a software key, and a license key?
- Can I move my license to another computer?
- Can I install on two machines?
- How do I reinstall or move my license to another computer?
- Why does the software say "this software key is not valid" when I input my key?
- I ordered a volume license for the software and I only got one key. Can I use this key for all of my users?
- Why does the software not remember my key (it always launches as an evaluation)?
- How can I figure out what version of Camtasia or Snagit I am currently running?
Where do I find my software key?
Website Key Lookup
If you do not have a copy of your receipt, visit the key lookup tool. Enter the email address used to purchase the software.
If you have a TechSmith Account, log in to: https://myaccount.techsmith.com. Your software key may be stored on the My Products tab.
If you purchased from TechSmith, the email receipt contains your software key.
- If purchased from our online store, your software key is located in the Order Details section of the receipt.
- If purchased directly from our Sales team, your software key is located under the program name in the receipt.
CD or Disc
As of December 8, 2015, TechSmith offers backup discs for installing the program. The backup disc does not include your software key. To unlock the installed program, refer to your receipt for the software key (see above).
For Snagit or Camtasia, the software key is printed on a sticker on the disc sleeve or under the disc in the case.
If you have the disc for a version earlier than Snagit 8.0.2 (unsupported) or Camtasia Studio 3.1.1 (unsupported), the software key is automatically generated during installation. Therefore, there is no key on the outside of the box or printed on the disc sleeve. For a list of currently supported versions, see this article.
For Morae 3.0 and later, the key is printed on a sticker on the front cover of the Resource disc. For previous versions, the key is printed on a sticker on the outside of the box.
In the Product
To find your key in Snagit or Camtasia, see this article.
If you are unable to retrieve your key through any of the above options, please contact our Customer Service department or call us at 1-800-517-3001 ext. 636 (toll free U.S. & Canada only).
How do I unlock my software?
To learn how to unlock your software, visit the links below:
What is the difference between a key code, a software key, and a license key?
These all refer to the code you must enter to license or unlock the software.
How do I reinstall or move my license to another computer?
General Installation Instructions
- Uninstall the software.
- Download and install the software using the same key.
Make sure to download the version the key is valid for. The software key is located in the order confirmation email or see this article for help locating your key.
Install on a Second Machine (Same User)
Each single user license allows the user to install on up to two computers at the same time. The following conditions must apply:
- The computers are not both in use at the same time.
- The software is only used by the same user who currently holds the license.
Transfer to Another User
- Uninstall the software from the current computer.
- If the key was added to your TechSmith Account, remove the key from your account.
- The new user can download and install the software using the same key. We recommend adding the key to the new user's TechSmith Account (Snagit and Camtasia only).
Can I install on two machines?
You can install your license on up to two computers for a single user. For example, you can install on a desktop and a laptop or at home and at work.
If your computer crashes or you get a new machine, you can reinstall the version that you purchased, as long as you don’t have the program installed on more than two computers at a time.
Why does the software say "this software key is not valid" when I input my key?
Product specific unlocking
Make sure the key is for the version of the software you installed. Keys are version-specific.
To see if you qualify for a free upgrade, please visit our Upgrade Center. You need the version numer for your last paid version of Snagit of Camtasia, which is called the Based Registered Version. To locate the Base Registered Version number, select Help > About from within the application.
Tips for entering the key correctly:
- Make sure there are no empty spaces at the beginning or end of the key.
- Copy and paste the key rather than entering it manually. Make sure to copy and paste the entire key.
- If you type in the key, verify you are typing all occurrences of the number zero as zeroes and not the letter "o."
- Current versions of Snagit and Camtasia, both single and multi-user versions, use a 25 character key (ie: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX).
I ordered a volume license for the software and I only got one key. Can I use this key for all of my users?
Yes, we send one multi-user key for volume licenses. Send the download and key to all of your users, and they can install with the same key. Please monitor the software to ensure you are within the license agreement for the number of users you purchased. For more information about deploying TechSmith software, see our Enterprise Resources.
Why does the software not remember my key (it always launches as an evaluation)?
Snagit and Camtasia store license information in the registry and/or the local ProgramData folder on the computer. If your account does not have the required permission to write to these locations, the next time the software is started it reverts to an evaluation copy. The workaround is to log in with administrator rights, install the software, and enter your key. During the installation, make sure to select the For All Users option (if available).
For Windows Vista or Windows 7:
- Exit the application completely.
- Right-click the application icon and select Run as Administrator.
- Enter your key when prompted.
How can I figure out what version of Snagit or Camtasia I am currently running?
- On Windows, open the application and select Help > About (Product Name).
- On the Mac, open the application and select (Product Name) menu > About (Product Name).