Jump to question:
- Where do I find my software key?
- How do I unlock my software?
- What is the difference between a key code, a software key and a license key?
- Can I move my license to another computer?
- Can I install on 2 machines?
- Why does the software say "this software key is not valid" when I input my key?
- I ordered a volume license for the software and I only got one key. Can I use this key for all of my users?
- Why does the software not remember my key (it always launches as an evaluation)?
- How can I figure out what version of Camtasia or Snagit I am currently running?
Where do I find my software key?
Website key lookup
If you do not have a copy of your receipt, please try the key lookup tool on our website. You must use the same email as the purchase.
If you have a TechSmith Account, your software keys may be stored under the "My Products" tab. Please log in here: https://myaccount.techsmith.com
When you purchase directly from TechSmith, your email receipt will contain your software key. If purchased from our Online Store, your software key will be located under the Order Details section of the receipt.
If purchased directly from our Sales team, your software key will be located directly under the program name.
As of December 8, 2015, TechSmith now offers Backup Discs which do not come with software keys. The Backup Disc contains the installation files for your program. When you need to unlock your installed program, refer to your receipt for your software key (see above).
For Snagit, Snagit on Mac, Camtasia Studio, and Camtasia for Mac, the software key is printed on a sticker and applied either to the CD sleeve (if there is one), or under the CD in the DVD style case.
If you have the CD for a version earlier than SnagIt v8.0.2 (unsupported) or Camtasia Studio v3.1.1 (unsupported), the software key is automatically generated upon installation. Therefore, there is no key on the outside of the box or printed on the CD sleeve. For a list of currently supported versions, please see here.
For Morae v3.0 and later, the key is printed on a sticker and applied to the front cover of the Resource CD. For prior versions, the key is printed on a sticker and applied to the outside of the media box.
Within the product
In Snagit or Camtasia you can find the key within the software, once you have entered it successfully. See here for instructions on how to find your license key from within the software.
If you are unable to retrieve your key through any of the above options, please contact our Customer Service Department or call us at 1.800.517.3001 x636 (toll free U.S. & Canada only).
How do I unlock my software?
To view instructions regarding how to unlock your license, please visit the links below.
Snagit (Windows): https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/208716647-Snagit-Windows-Entering-Your-License-Key
Snagit (Mac): https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/208716357-Snagit-Mac-Entering-Your-License-Key
Camtasia Studio for Windows: https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/208716747-Camtasia-Windows-Entering-Your-License-Key
Camtasia for Mac: https://support.techsmith.com/hc/en-us/articles/208020448-Camtasia-Mac-Entering-Your-License-Key
What is the difference between a key code, a software key and a license key?
These all refer to the same code that you must enter to license the software.
Reinstalling or moving your license
General Installation Instructions
Simply uninstall the software, and then download and reinstall using the same license key. Make sure to download the version of the software that the license key is valid for. Your key can be found in your order confirmation email or in the software itself. See this article for assistance.
Installing on a second machine, but the same user
Each single user license allows the user to install on up to two computers at the same time, as long as....
- The computers are not both in use at the same time
- The software is only used by the same user who currently holds the license
Transferring to a different user
- Uninstall the software from the current computer.
- If the license key was added to your TechSmith Account, remove the key from your account.
- The new user can now download and install the version of the software that the license key is valid for. We also recommend that the user add the license key to their TechSmith Account (Snagit and Camtasia only).
Can I install on 2 machines?
You can install your license on up to 2 computers for your use—a desktop and a laptop, or at home and at work, as an example.
If your computer crashes or you get a new machine, you can reinstall the version that you purchased, as long as you don’t have the program installed on more than 2 computers at a time.
Why does the software say "this software key is not valid" when I input my key?
Product specific unlocking
Make sure the key you are using is for the version of the software you installed. Software keys are version specific.
To see if you qualify for a free upgrade, please visit our Upgrade Center. You will need the version number of the version of Snagit or Camtasia that you last paid for, which is called the Base Registered Version. To locate the Base Registered Version number, select Help > About from within the application.
Tips for entering the key correctly:
- Make sure there are no empty spaces at the beginning or end of the key.
- Copy and paste the key rather than entering it manually.
- Copy and paste the entire key, if there is one character missing it will not work.
- If you type in the key, verify you are typing all occurrences of the number zero as zeroes and not the letter "o".
- All current versions of SnagIt and Camtasia, both single and multi-user versions, use a 25 character key (ie: XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX-XXXXX)
I ordered a volume license for the software and I only got one key. Can I use this key for all of my users?
Yes, we send one multi-user key for volume licenses. You may forward the download and key to all of your users, and they can install with the same key. Please monitor the software to ensure you are within the license agreement for the number of users you purchased. For more information about deploying TechSmith software, please refer to this page.
Why does the software not remember my key (it always launches as an evaluation)?
Snagit and Camtasia store license information in the registry and/or the local ProgramData folder on the computer. If your account does not have the required permission's to write to these locations, the next time the software is started it will revert to an evaluation copy. The workaround is to log in with administrator rights, install and input your key. During the installation be sure to select the For All Users option (if available).
In Windows Vista or 7 you may have to exit the program completely, then right click on the shortcut icon and select Run as Administrator. Then put your key in when prompted.
How can I figure out what version of Camtasia or Snagit I am currently running?
On Windows, in general, you’ll want to open the program and visit Help>About (Insert Product Name Here).
On the Mac, open the program and visit (Product Name)>About (Product Name) in the menubar.